I had a "zupa inglaise", or "English soup", which is a type of horrible cake. Maybe what you'd get if you badly describe Eton Mess to an Italian and they try to make a cake from it.

@Paul It’s usually described as trifle. I’ve got a book on trifle somewhere that gives the history and derivation, I think - I’ll look it up when I get home.

@ghost_bird @Paul
It's pan di spagna (similar to sponge cake) or savoiardi (the biscuits for tiramisù), crème pâtissière and alchermes, and optionally meringue.
Pretty innocuous for people that don't hate alchermes liqueur (but I'm not one of them, so I avoid zuppa inglese).

food, cooking 

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Kith Kitchen

All about food, friends, cooking and community.