Follow

Got some more woodchips. Need to do a lot of this but also I am wearing a skirt and sandals, which isn't ideal for schlepping woodchips around. So now I'm getting dried peas off of dead plants, to sow as a test for aminopyralid in some manure that was contaminated when it arrived on site. It degrades in sunlight and soil microbes, so I am hoping it's nearly finished now.

I had two separate bioremediation plans, neither of which worked.

· · SubwayTooter · 1 · 0 · 1

aminopyralid bioremediation, literal poo 

The first plan was to try growing oyster mushrooms on the manure. But the myceliae didn't colonise it, in the end. The manure very often has various Coprinus mushroom species already, so it was kindof a long shot.

The second plan was better: spread it out and plant sweetcorn (which is resistant) in it, then use the corn stalks to make biochar. I forgot to net the seedlings, and crows pulled up 95% of them.

aminopyralid bioremediation, literal poo 

I started this plan super late, which meant there wasn't time for a second sowing after the crows had their fun.

But maybe the sunlight has worked! Peas are very sensitive to aminopyralid so I'm going to direct sow those instead. (And remember to net them.) Once they're up, it should be pretty easy to tell whether there are any remaining contaminated patches.

aminopyralid bioremediation, literal poo 

And these peas are ones I tried this year but mostly didn't like as much as the other peas I grew. I don't need to save the seed for next year, so using them as a test crop is perfect.

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Kith Kitchen

All about food, friends, cooking and community.